Saturday, March 13, 2010

Introduction

Welcome.

This blog is about playing Dungeons & Dragons, 4th edition, the way I like it: one player, one DM. I'm planning to describe my games, how they are created, and random musings on the game as a whole.

My name is Solo DM, and I've been playing the various incarnations of Dungeons & Dragons since the early nineties. Recently I've picked up the fourth edition, DND4e, and I've started a Forgotten Realms campaign with my girlfriend as the only player.

Believe me: having just one player is great! Planning a session becomes as easy as saying "how about playing tonight?" or even better: "how about playing right now?" Not to mention the roleplaying itself; instead of a social gathering (which can be nice), it becomes a focused experience. No endless disputes on the merits of left versus right, no squabbles on who-gets-the-magical-item, and did I mention  planning the next session?

Of course, the are downsides as well, especially when composing challenging combat encounters, or the fact that no-one can help her if she runs out of options. But more on this in another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment